What is a Prayer Chaplain?
- A Prayer Chaplain is someone who can pray with you. Jesus said, “Whenever two or more are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” When two people come together in prayer a “third” presence is there, that is, the presence of the Holy Spirit, or the active principle of God. This is where the consciousness of possibility exists.
- A Prayer Chaplain is someone who can create and hold sacred space with you. To hold sacred space means to embrace a consciousness of possibility. God is greater than any outward situation or condition we may experience. A Chaplain helps one to open this space through prayer.
- A Prayer Chaplain is someone who can listen to you and hold what is heard in confidence. Rest assured that whatever is said to a chaplain stays with a chaplain.
- Prayer Chaplains are available to pray with you. You can meet with the chaplains for individual prayer following all Sunday services in the Sanctuary and allow yourself or another to be blessed with prayer and loving kindness.
- Prayer Chaplains make hospital visits. If you are in the hospital or know you are going to be hospitalized, please contact the church office and a chaplain or minister will be happy to offer prayer support through a call or visit.
- Prayer Chaplains make wellness telephone calls. All Seattle Unity members have the option of having a personal prayer chaplain. Your chaplain will phone you once a month to offer prayer support. Of course, if you need prayer at other times you may contact the church office, and your prayer chaplain will contact you.
Becoming a Prayer Chaplin
The prayer chaplaincy program is for those who are looking to deepen their connection to Spirit though prayer and service. Prayer Chaplains serve the congregation by offering individual prayer on Sunday mornings and through monthly telephone calling. Prayer Chaplains connect to the community in a deep and meaningful way by holding sacred space and practicing kindness and compassion.
In Unity we understand that as we give so we receive. A side benefit to this program is that prayer chaplains find they are the recipients of the kindness and compassion they are giving.
Prayer Chaplain training
Taking a prayer class and meeting with Rev. Karen are prerequisites to the prayer chaplain training. The prayer chaplains (both new and renewing) are all required to attend the annual prayer chaplain intensive retreat.
The next prayer chaplain retreat is May 30 – June 1, 2014 at Dumas Bay Retreat Centre.
Contact a Prayer Chaplain
- Leave a message on the Prayer Chaplain telephone line at 206-622-8475 x130
- Contact the church office at 206-622-8475 x125
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- A minister or chaplain will return your call or email. This may take a few days.
- Fill out a purple prayer form located in the back of the pew. Place it in the prayer box located in the lobby or drop it in the offering basket.
- Meet a chaplain in the rear of the sanctuary after Sunday services. (There are chaplains at every service.)