Easter Sunday Service Videos April 23, 2017—”Earth Angels”—Here are the links and players to the music videos and sermon from 04-23-2017, with Rev. Karen Lindvig’s sermon titled “Earth Angels.” In this Earth Day Sunday sermon titled “Earth Angels,” Rev. Karen Lindvig celebrates Earth Day, and introduces the archetype of “Earth Angel.” She recounts the history of Earth Day, which began in 1970. She focuses on the importance of using rigorous science to understand and repair the Earth. And Karen describes the six key qualities of the Earth Angel archetype, qualities each of us can embody in our daily lives to honor and celebrate our planet and its well being.
Justin Huertas Sings “Colors of the Wind”
Erin McGaughan Sings “O Mother God”
Erin McGaughan sings “Ma Chant”
Karen Lindvig Leads Meditation “Earth Angels”
Justin Huertas Sings “Here I Am”
Rev. Karen Lindvig Earth Day Sermon “Earth Angels”
Justin Huertas Sings “Big Yellow Taxi”
http://seattleunity.org—In this Earth Day Sunday sermon titled “Earth Angels,” Rev. Karen Lindvig celebrates Earth Day, and introduces the archetype of “Earth Angel.” She recounts the history of Earth Day, which began in 1970. She focuses on the importance of using rigorous science to understand and repair the Earth. And Karen describes the six key qualities of the Earth Angel archetype, qualities each of us can embody in our daily lives to honor and celebrate our planet and its well being.
Key quotations related to this sermon:
Matthew Fox: “Stardust now evolved to the place that the stardust can think about itself. We are the universe becoming conscious of itself. We are stardust that has begun to contemplate the stars. We have arisen out of the dynamics of the Earth. Four billion years ago, our planet was molten rock, and now it sings opera. This is good news.”
John Muir: “Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
William Shakespeare: “And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt: “A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.”
Kahlil Gibran: “Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet, and the winds long to play with your hair.”
Native American Proverb: “We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”
Key ideas related to this sermon
Our problems arose in part from the idea of dominating Earth. Here is an example:
Genesis 1:26: Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the Earth.”
This has been an excuse to use and abuse the planet rather than to care for Her.
Let us recognize that:
We are made of Earth – ashes to ashes.
We are also Spirit because we breathe.
So does everything else – trees, birds, all of life.
We are made from the Earth & the stars.
Six qualities of Earth Angels
1. Earth angels also have high sensitivity to violence, hatred, and basically anything portrayed as negative by the media and news outlets.
2. Time Alone. Earth angels know that in order to change the world, they must change themselves, and work tirelessly to become the best version of themselves.
3. Care deeply for others. Do you feel empathetic towards others, and want to help them through their problems They live in the now, and want to make as much positive change for others as possible. Earth angels can relate to other people’s struggles, as they have likely been there before.
4. Called to a purpose. You don’t relate to worldly desires and the structured path. You don’t like the programmed, conditioned society we live in, and have never felt compelled to follow in other people’s footsteps. You want to make your own mark and live by your own rules, and don’t like people telling you what to do. You feel called to do something more than what people consider “normal,” and couldn’t dream of living life being unfulfilled.
5. You have a strong intuition.
6. Reject modern ideals. Earth angels have realized that we cannot continue to live in a state of separation and isolation from one another; we absolutely need each other to survive.